I am really interested in the research projects my professors and TA’s are working on. I think that I want to work in a lab but I don’t know how to get started. How do I get a research position on campus?
Hey Aspiring Researcher,
Here are our 5 Quick Steps in Obtaining your First Research Position:
- Evaluate YOUR schedule: Make sure that you have the necessary time to devote to a research position
- Do your research: Look up CU’s current research projects and decide which ones sound interesting Talk to graduate students in the lab that you might want to work in
- Email the professor: Include a CV (Curriculum Vitae) and resume Set up a time to meet in person
- Come to the meeting prepared and enthusiastic: Read some of the professor’s papers beforehand to show that you’re genuinely interested in their research
- Devote the same dedication to it as you would a job: Be enthusiastic
Have fun! Research can be difficult, but ultimately, it can be one of the most enjoyable and beneficial experiences of your life.
-The Colorado Engineer